Saturday, November 5, 2011

Oh Dillon!

Poor Dillon is not used to this environment. He loves the water and actually smiles at the beach and all of the other dogs that he is able to frolic with and usually without a leash. The problem is what comes with the water and freedom is infections, yeast, fleas, funk from other dogs, constantly panting, licking, itching, etc.
The day I left I noticed areas on Dillon where he was licking and scratching, hair loss and puss. So I send Ozzy down to the vet with Dillon. The vet said it was a bacterial infection, gave him antibiotics, iodine and cream and sent him home. I got on the Internet and did some research. It looks like a few things could be going on. Yes, a bacterial infection and maybe food allergies. The antibiotics are working but he hasn't been to the beach in two weeks and is not too happy about that. The bacterial infection can be an on going thing. Shit, what is one to do. Poor guy didn't ask to come here. He actually loves the snow and cold dry weather.
First, let's get rid of alot of that hair. I got in touch with a groomer, didn't fit my schedule so today I started cutting away at Dillons hair. One thing I love about this country is that you learn that you can do almost anything yourself, you just have to figure out how. I know, it isn't hard to cut hair, but as an American my thought process was, of course, take him to get groomed, instead of, I have the ability to do it myself and save myself $50 US. I don't care if it isn't perfect and he doesn't either. So, the kids and I went to town and he actually looks pretty good.


Next step was to change his diet. So, I am experimenting, but today I started him on a homemade diet of ground beef, rice, veggies, coconut oil and Mila. I will switch it up with eggs and oats maybe other stuff. It can be very time consuming and expensive but I am on a mission to have a very happy and healthy dog so it is worth it. If anyone has any knowledge, suggestions, holistic ideas or recipes I would greatly appreciate it. My email is ashtemp70@yahoo.com.
So, groomed, change in diet, and a fresh water rinse and blow dry after each beach trip hopefully Dillon will be happier and healthier.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ashley,
    Chicken and rice are always good and my dog loves cottage cheese. Its easy on her stomach and my nose (if you get my drift). Also, you can get a hand tool (sometimes called a Mars tool $10.00) to shed Dillon out. Cutting out some of the bulk in his coat is good but getting the dead hair and dander out will be more helpful.... I'm glad to see you all are doing well. I'm so jealous of your family adventure! Maybe we will make an adventure of our own soon. Love to you all!
    -Amber (Chris' Cousin)

    ReplyDelete

Comments