Saturday, November 12, 2011

Jardin de ninos Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz

Maestra called a meeting at 8:30 am Friday morning for all of the parents. We were not sure of what to expect, but Ozzy and I showed up with kids in tow. As did, our friends Pete, Gretchen, Maggie and Jack. We were glad that Pete was there because he speaks and usually understands Spanish. Maestra was speaking Spanish very fast so we had no idea what she was talking about but we both got the impression that she was angry. Even Trace sensed that she was not very happy and he was scared that she was going to take him out of Alex's class. I asked Pete a few times what she was saying and he really couldn't catch it. I had to leave to get to my Spanish class and left it up to the others to figure out what was going on. After the meeting Pete had Maestra explain what she was saying....
Maestra was telling the parents that they need to spend more time with their children, get them away from the tv and be parents. If they don't do this their children will be unbalanced when they grow up. And she cannot succeed at her job if the parents do not do their job at home. I don't understand a lot of Spanish but I do understand emotions and she was pissed. What I got out of it was that she is passionate about her job and she cared about the future of those children. She had each parent write on a piece of paper, to give to her, their commitment of what they would do at home to help their child succeed at school. She also told us that the kids NEED to wear the correct uniform pieces each day, at least the top, so she can quickly locate the kids, and that you can no longer bring your kids late and expect her to disrupt class and open the door. If they are late they aren't getting in. I didn't see this kind of meeting going over too well in the US, but I appreciate a teacher that has this kind of passion for teaching and the future of the children. Kudos Maestra and thank you!


I have to say that we are always on time, the kids wear either the right uniform piece or at least the right color of top and we try to communicate as best as possible and be as involved as possible. The language barrier makes it very difficult and I can't tell you how many times we have gotten it wrong but we get an A+ for effort. And a huge thank you to Gretchen and Pete for helping us along in the understanding department. And one of the local Mexican moms who told us about the meeting. She was very nice. It was the first time one talked to us which made me feel good and like they were beginning to warm up to us a litte. Also there is a lady who sells uniform pieces outside of the school and I told her that I need a grande one for Alex so she made me one. I didn't even ask her to, she just brought it. I didn't have enough pesos and she said no problem just pay me when you have the pesos. She trusted me! This whole conversation went down in sign lanugage and Spanish.



So on Friday we also received the school and individual pictures that were taken. I love them!! Don't ask about the "what appears to be Christmas" individual picture. Maybe it is something Catholic. Anyway, I think is is awesome that they were included in this and that they have a photo of their class in Mexico. It will be a memory that will be with them forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments