Tuesday, September 13, 2011

SUP=Stand Up Paddleboard

One of the things at the top of our list is to become proficient surfers. I consider myself a decent athlete but the ability to longboard has absolutely eluded me. I am flat out terrible. So, Ashley and I will be investing in our first Stand Up Paddleboards. Stand up paddling or "SUP'ing" has ancient roots but has taken off globally. With modern materials and design, SUP'ing lets even the novice get out on the water and enjoy touring the coastline, meandering down a river or stream, paddling around a reservoir, canal or even pond. The boards are generally big and stable.
We both tried SUP'ing for the first time in March of 2011 and we both enjoyed it. I even caught a few waves for the first time ever. Ashley likes SUP'ing for the workout and just to get a different perspective of the coast and I like it for the same reasons as well as being able to keep up a little better with my skilled surfing friends.

2 comments:

  1. SUP is a fantastic way to learn to surf as having a paddle allows you to get into position so much quicker. There are a lot of traditional surfers who have been transitioning over the past several years to SUP surfing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jason. Fun to reread that post from 2011. Things have certainly changed for us concerning SUP surfing and racing since then.

      ReplyDelete

      Delete

Comments