Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Road Trip - Dia Tres II

We pulled into the lot at the faciltiy that takes care of visas and car permits. I thought I had been through a similar process when flying into Mexico but this was a totally different animal. I'll try to be brief here since the process could be a short essay and not really work here. I got my passport checked and needed to pay the visa fee. I left the visa office and walked down the covered breezeway to the teller to pay. I took that receipt back to the visa office to show that I paid and was able to get my visa. (If you buy a plane ticket most of this is included included in the price of the ticket.) I then had to bring my newly paid for visa back to the teller to pay for my car permit. I did not have originals of anything. All copies. Not good. If you do this have originals and make sure your registration is in the right names. I had the title in the right name but not the registration-the one I needed. The nice folks behind the window let it go after some discussion and I had to take the whole bundle to the copy office and get copies made of everything and then I had to go back to the teller with the packet to pay for and complete the whole process. Now, the place was empty when I did this and can't imagine what this place would be like with lines everywhere, people standing in line for hours. Get there early and have the right stuff and understand the process. There are guys usually out front that, for a fee, will take you through the process and translate. Maybe worth the price the first time but fortunately I had help and a translator. One more check point button to push..."Green" this time and weeks of anxiety about this particular part of the journey is behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments