Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The End of A Long Chapter


5/16/2012
Ozzy and the kids have been in Mexico since October and haven't left. I have been back and forth able to visit friends, work and enjoy some of the pleasures of the USA. And now I am leaving Salt Lake and Park City. Ozzy said "bye" in October, now it is my turn. When we made the decision to move to Mexico it was a hard one because we have a street full of the most amazing neighbors. We lived on a cul-de-sac that we have joked about making a gated community for just the seven houses. We are all around the same age, have mostly the same interests, the others are kind of insane when it comes to running, biking and skiing. On weekends after the day of whatever activity we would all find ourselves in the street talking, throwing balls for the dogs, kids playing and it usually turned into a BBQ at someone's house. A great group of people with no drama, competition, etc.. These last two weeks the neighbors proved how incredible they are. One of the group learned that he had cancer and was immediately in the hospital having heart surgery. Since the couple has no family in town the neighbors took charge. They didn't miss a beat. They were on for 24 hours every day either at the hospital during surgery, spending the night, talking to doctors, babysitting their children, emailing updates constantly, finding humor in certain situations, I could go on. Ozzy and I immediately felt guilty for not being there. I, at the very least was able to watch their daughters for two days to allow the others to sleep in, rest, bike. And I had my one last BBQ for a while. It was awesome to be together with the neighbors again. I was sitting with one of the girls watching a movie and watching everyone around the table talking about the hospital, laughing about certain situations of the last week and bonding and knowing that Corrie and Christian are in great hands.


Driving down the airport that morning for the last time and signing in for my last trip in Salt Lake....... It hasn't hit me yet. But I am fully aware of what and who I am leaving.



6/11/2012
So that wasn't actually the last time. I went back to SLC early last week to sell Ozzy's truck. I landed at 7 pm and was gone again by 1 pm the next day. This was the last time I stayed with my wonderful friend Carrie. (Thank you so much Carrie and Drew for letting my crash at your house for eight months. It was so nice to have a "home" to come to between trips and to be back under your roof, eating the most delicious food, drinking too much wine, laughing, talking and staying up too late.). Carrie is the reason I went to SLC in the first place. We met at Delta training, moved to NYC together, she moved back to SLC after three months and I came a month later. I lived with her for five years until I met Ozzy. Carrie went on to become a pilot with SkyWest and will hopefully circle back around and become a pilot with Delta. If so, there will be a huge chance that she will be back in ATL with me where it all started in the first place, 16 years ago, when we were obviously much younger, without husbands and children, free spirits just living and having fun. I must say though that she and I are still free spirits still living and having fun.

I also want to thank Kristin and Erin and Tyson as well for their hospitality, beds, dinner, too much wine and friendship.

It was much harder leaving this time. Probably because I boarded a plane from SLC, my home, my friends, my favorite base, comfort, familiarity, beauty, to Atlanta, the worlds busiest airport, obviously crowded, unknown hole, stinky hotels, airport food and no Carrie and Drew to hang out with. I have a lot to learn being in a huge international base. My safe SLC bubble has been popped. I think it will be good for me. A few good things I have already discovered is the ease at which I can manipulate my schedule, there is a doctor and pharmacy at the Delta headquarters compound, and a bus that runs from the airport to the compound and back every 15 minutes. This was huge for me as I had a horrible sinus infection and needed immediate relief but had no knowledge of Atlanta or transportation to get anywhere. I solely depend on public transportation now and it is kind of nice. You don't have to put gas in a car, look for a parking spot, fix a car, pay car insurance. There is a lot more sitting around and waiting though but it is not bad. And now I don't have to go through my car and all of my Tupperware bins getting clothes, uniforms, shoes, etc, and pack, unpack, pack, unpack. I now pack everything I need for my one to two weeks in my bag and that is it.

So, one chapter ends and the next chapter is being written.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments