Sunday, October 21, 2012

Perspective From The "Other Side"

Yesterday I went to do some template work at a job where I'll be putting in new kitchen concrete countertops and a new master vanity with sink. The architect hopes the job will be complete in the next few weeks so there is tons of activity going on at the moment. Carpenters, painters, exterior concrete finishers, railing fabricators etc are all trying to create some space to get their job done.


Having been a construction project manager in the States I understand too well the controlled chaos that is sometimes required to get a job to the finish line. As I looked around me I noticed, not surprisingly, that I was the only white guy on the job. Actually, this is no different from times on the job up North where there were multiple subs on a job and they would be made up totally of hispanic labor. On large projects, some of these guys, (carpenters, roofers, masons etc) were on the job for months and overtime I became quite friendly with them. I would join them occasionally for lunch, pick up some Spanish and even managed to score some home cooked Mexican food that was offered. For the most part, I liked these guys and though they didn't talk about it, most of them had a story to tell about how they got there and what they may have left behind to find work in the US.

So, here I am at this job and it occurs to me that I'm the one that is on the job site with a story to tell. I'm the one who came across the border, to the "other side", looking for a new start and life just like many of these guys I met over the years. Certainly a low risk, uneventful story compared to some others. I find it just a bit sad and laughable that there was so much thought and stress involved in the decision to come to Mexico over a year ago and in the end I arrived in a Land Rover, during the daylight, had a place to live and money in my pocket. No border crossings that some may have endured and the possibility that Immigration may arrive on the job site that day to check papers and documents.


Now I am in Mexico full time legally and have a license to to what I do...all legit and I feel good about that. I couldn't tell if I was really all that welcome at the site but I did my job, stayed out of people's way, answered a few questions about what I was up to and even got a few nods and the occasional smile. No problems. Just another subcontractor. Somewhat familiar? Yes. Just a little bit different perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments