Saturday, January 7, 2012

My First "Wave"


So, I have taken a surf lesson before and it literally kicked my ass, so I ended that career until now... Ozzy and I brought down oZoboards, which are Stand Up Paddle boards that we have been using to cruise around the bay. They are great for long distance paddling and wonderful exercise for the abdomen and arms. Plus you are able to get away from everything and just be on the ocean where is it peaceful. I was okay with all of that until I noticed how much fun Ozzy was having paddle surfing on his oZoboard. He got quite good since I was in the US working. I am not a competitive person but when I see someone having fun in an addictive kind of way I want to see what it is all about. So, today was the day. I put my previous surfing experience behind me and headed out to surf. Ozzy was there to teach and cheer me on, the waves were just the right size and the surf location was pretty empty. It is much easier to paddle surf as opposed to regular surfing. You are not exerting nearly as much energy, and it is easier to get on waves. So with Ozzy's help and instruction I caught three waves. And it was AWESOME. So much fun. The wave gets a hold of you and the next thing you know you are one with the ocean and it is gently pushing you along and it is like you are flying on top of the water. And then you eat total shit. But now you are addicted and you want more.


So, our new routine (I know I said there are no routines here but we are starting one) is to drop the kids at school, head to the beach to paddle and paddle surf for 2-3 hours, pick the kids up from school and it is up in the air from there. I have learned that people work here when it is convenient and doesn't interfere with extracurricular activities. But they do get their work done. They are just happier workers.

And it is good quality time with my husband doing something that we love together.

Since I wrote this I have caught two more waves. Yesterday we went out and the surf was way too big for me. Today it was perfect. I also think that my green Jolyn bathing suit is my good luck suit. Just don't catch waves when I am in black. But I will soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments