Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Mud Season

Having done some of my growing up in Vermont there was always a 5th season each year.  Spring, summer, fall, winter, and MUD season.  To state the obvious, the seasons here in Sayulita are much milder.  So much so that it is sometimes difficult to tell which season it actually is.  One season that is easily identifiable is MUD season.

All summer the rains try and try to come and water the plants and wash the jungle clean again.  When the rain does come the thirsty earth just drinks it all in until one day the earth decides it will drink no more.  The rain starts to come more often and in greater amounts and the town turns into a sloppy mess.  Side roads that are not cobble stoned turn into deeply rutted, gooey avenues of mud and only get worse as traffic tries to use these pathways.

Trace getting ride with our neighbor Pepe's ATV

Cars here are just not equipped to handle this kind of terrain for the most part.  Many of them do not have great tires or perhaps are rear wheel drive.  Few 4x4s.  I tried my luck with our little Ford SUV after I saw another car almost get to the top of this hill and have to back all the way down to the next muddy intersection.  It took me two tries but I made it.  I have to admit I missed my little Mazda truck today.

Calle Libertad is slicker than snot
This is the top of the road we are building our house on.  There has been talk for years about the possibility of cobble stoning it.  We hope that this year is the year the rumors become truth and we see a totally improved roadway as it is an important connector out of town for many people.  With improvement the road will get busier but at least we will be able to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments