Monday, May 13, 2013

Damn Ticks

Yep, that is right, my new worst enemy is the tick.  Not only is it a blood sucker but it has become a major time sucker.  I don't know if it is the new plants our landlord had planted or the time of the year but holy crap...they love Dillon so therefore they end up in the house, just walking around like they own the place, which they probably do. In fact they almost did until I found this fine lady today under a piece of furniture right beside where Dillon sleeps.

Mommy and her eggs, isn't that cute!

Did you know that a tick can lay up to 18,000 eggs?  OMG!  So the time sucking comes in because every time Dillon goes out to take care of business I have to do the once over to get all of the hitch hikers.  Tonight after he went out and just before bed I took off 25 ticks!  Seriously, look:

Hitch hikers looking for blood

And that happens more than once a day.  The thing is that 99% of them are the same size.  I have only gotten a few giant ones, I guess the rest are laying eggs in my house getting ready to take over.

 Poor guy, he looks so sad, like he has leprosy or something, but actually he gets SOOO much more attention and rubs than ever before.  I give him a full body look see and rub down three times a day.


The other time sucker is the research on ticks, how to get rid of them, what to do if they are in your home, etc.  Luckily they have not gotten on us yet as we all know what nasty creatures they are and the diseases they carry.  The cleaning, sweeping, looking, taking down the curtains and putting all of the carpets and other linens that aren't a must (bed linens) away in plastic bags.  I can literally spot a tick the size of a large knat 20 feet away and the ticks here are immune to Frontline.  So what is one to do?   

1)  We could get or borrow a chicken, they eats ticks and they are a dime a dozen here, which I am very close to doing.  But then I need to learn how to keep it around.  I have seen that the chickens in town are not in cages and pretty loyal to their owners.  I need to do more research.

2)  People say put the dog in the ocean every day, but then he will get bacterial and yeast infections as we have already experienced.  No bueno!

3) Fumigate your house but it doesn't help if the dog keeps bringing in the ticks.  Your first step is to make the dog unacceptable to ticks. OKAY! or have your chicken eat all the ticks around your house.

4)  Go on a long work bender and let Ozzy worry about it:)

I vote for # 4

I don't have time for this s@#t!  I have less than one week before I go back to work, I am preparing an hour long presentation that I have to give to both Alex and Trace's classes on Thursday, separately, on airplanes, the business and places I have visited,  (I don't think I ever prepared this much when I was in school), I had to prepare lunch for Alex's class tonight, which I totally forgot about until 2 this afternoon.  These lunch preparations can take all day sometimes.  Luckily I picked an easy one.  And the topping on the cake, if you follow our blog you can probably guess... yes, the car is broken and in the shop, we were out of power in most of the house for two days, go figure, most of the house, ie.. we are getting power from two different sources in the town, only in Mexico, luckily the refrigerator worked so we ran an extension cord from the multiple outlet on the fridge to run the router for the Internet and other miscellaneous things, and made it work and it is light enough long enough so we really didn't need lights and we had food.  I have something going on with my ears, infection, sinus, maybe a tick is making a home in one of them but  I cannot lay down long enough to put the right medicine in to help them, that should be fun on the airplane and for the next two weeks at work.  The good news is we have water and we do not have lice! But if we get lice maybe the ticks will eat the lice and then the chicken will eat the ticks.  It is all about using the food chain that is available to you.

Ahhh, another day in paradise!  Who wants to come visit?;)  We have room.


5 comments:

  1. Yes, this is why we have tequila in the house. Overwhelming sometimes isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! We found your blog and have enjoyed reading your posts! We are planning on spending 3 months in Sayulita this fall and we are planning on putting our kids on either the Escuela del Mundo or Costa Verde Escuela while we are there...any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are enjoying reading about our "Adventures". First, speak to each school about availability for short term enrollment. That might make a decision for you right there. EDM is 10-15 minutes away by car in San Pancho and CVIS is here in Sayulita so if you have transportation limitations that is also something to consider. In the end you need to do what works for you and your family. Talk to each school and see what their philosophy is about education so that your expectations are met while attending. We attend EDM because it is a Mexican school and Spanish is spoken in the classroom 90%-95% of the time. CVIS will be closer to 50%. Someone who may be expecting more of a "north of the border" educational experience may find CVIS more their liking. Another consideration for us is the amount of tuition. EDM will run less than CVIS. Lots of things to consider but for 3 months some things may not matter that would if you were staying for the year. In the end, there are great kids and families at both schools. We are happy with our choice to attend EDM and feel our experience down here has been bigger attending school here. We will be attending EDM again next year. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just curious if you have had problems sending the blog? we have been on your list forever, but have not got recent blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first I have heard of a problem. I get one every time we post. Have you re-entered your email to make sure something didn't change? Not sure what else to do since the "Follow by email" is just something to add and move around on the blog. I don't get to see a list of those folks who have added their emails. Sorry, not much help but glad you have followed for so long.

    ReplyDelete

Comments